Once again we are working with a group of teenagers to help them to instantiate their ideas using technology. This time our theme is the Internet of Things and smart cities.
The applications the students develop will be exploring the use and purpose of sensor-based applications. The hardware and software we will be using to help with rapid prototyping and experimenting with the students’ ideas will be the arduino and sketches which are a C/C++ language (http://arduino.cc ).
The students have already been thinking about their ideas, which include
- Connecting to being mobile:
- From transport to life style stages e.g. waiting for the bus or walking home
- Interacting with your environment
- Helping the environment to be more intelligent e.g. when crossing the road – staying green for longer
- Reading on the go:
- Making everyday objects interactive screens
- Smart furniture
- Smart bicycle parks
- Safe place detectors
- Event alerts from water sprays, moving objects to sensing objects activities
These will be developed through the Hack event into prototype designs. The students will present their work on the main stage at the London Festival of Education.